Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Evasive 1:00 Church




Here in my neighborhood there are more members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints than can fit into one building at the same time, so there are three congregations that meet in the same building but at different times on Sunday. The times rotate every year for each congregation to be fair for everyone, starting at 9 o'clock in the morning for some, eleven for the next group, and the "sleeping in" dream of 1:00 p.m.
 
There are advantages and disadvantages to each time slot; at 9:00 a.m. you have to wake up early but you have the rest of the day to enjoy and perhaps fit a nap in, at 11:00 a.m. you can sleep in a little but you miss lunch time and with kids their nap time, and at 1:00 p.m. you can sleep in A LOT and lounge around all day but when you get out at 4 most of the day is gone. Also, if you volunteer to help serve in the church there are "before church" meetings usually an hour before the meeting time making 9 o'clock church grueling. On the other hand, getting out of church at 4 o'clock makes it almost impossible to take a nap and catch up on some sleep from the week without tossing and turning all night.

About 9 years ago I decided to really go to church and learn as much about God and the scriptures as I could. I volunteered to move to Pennsylvania and help serve, minister, and share the gospel,  in congregations out there for two years. During those two years I woke up at 6:30 every morning (with 2 days of exception) and went to bed at 10:30 every night (with a few more exceptions). In PA, most of the congregations meet at 8:30 a.m. with a few starting at 9:00. After church however I was so busy with different duties that I wouldn't get a break until it was time to go home and go to bed. No Sunday nap! Since the day I stepped foot on PA soil, I have not had the 1:00 church time slot because we have moved 4 times in 4 years and it seems we always land in a 9 or 11 church time zone- but that's OK with me!

The day I returned home I vowed to conquer the Sunday nap each and and every week! So here we are six years later and I have enjoyed every sleeping moment of my regularly scheduled Sunday nap. Although some may feel robbed of the sleeping late, eating a big breakfast, eating lunch later, and then strolling into church with a full stomach at 1 o'clock. I am happy to report that I have been successful in claiming the Sunday nap as my own! Sleeping in late is no substitute for the sweet bliss of hitting the cool pillow mid afternoon and a slight breeze from the fan across your face.

Yes, the Sunday afternoon nap has been all mine for 6 years straight. I figure that is about 500 hours of peaceful rest on sabbath afternoons I have under my belt, and what a privilege it has been to take advantage of. If you think about it, that has really taken some hard work and dedication!
   


So remember!!! Whatever your time slot for church, be you the 1:00 gloater, or the 9:00 sufferer - remember there are positives to everything and the important thing is that you go to church and renew your dedication to God and serving in His kingdom. It is time for me to get acquainted again with my old friend - the memory foam mattress topper from Costco. What's your favorite time for church?



-Joe


What is the best time for church?

9:00

11:00

1:00

  
pollcode.com free polls

2 comments:

  1. Haha thats funny! 9am is our new time slot for this year and it is becoming my FAVORITE! I can't remember the last time I ever knew Sunday to be a day of rest. With demanding callings, meetings, visits, getting little ones ready, fixing dinner, and always having somewhere to be Sunday night (moms or in-laws).It has always been my BUSIEST day. But now, I dont have that calling. I have Primary. Alot less stressfull. Getting up early may be a pain but SOOO worth having the rest of the day to lounge around. Cook whatever and sleep and watch TV. I love that I have all day to hang out with my hubby and relax. 2011 is going to be awesome! And when it gets warmer we will have time to go on walks!!! So happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post Joe, but "church" starts at 9:30 at all the wards in the Scranton Stake anyway. How's this...I have my first Sunday meeting at 7:15 (for the last 7 years), and average leaving the church between 3:30 and 5:oo. No naps for me (not even in HP Group!) All that said, I DEFINITELY prefer the early start time or I might not be getting home until 8 or 9 o'clock at night.

    ReplyDelete