Sunday, March 6, 2011

Facets of Faith: Does God REALLY Exist?



As we human develop more theories about the way life is and the way the universe works we think that we become more intelligent wiser beings. We develop ideas of quarks, anti-matter, dark matter, and whatever else Stephen Hawkings can dream up and call them truth. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I have any better ideas but even on ol' Steve's official website it says "Theoretical Physicist".

I just took a Physics class at the University I attend and the first thing we went over was definitions of words we will use in the class. One of them was theory and generally we defined them as - ideas that are not a law but help explain the way something works. I found myself frustrated the entire time I attended the lectures because it seemed as though everything that was taught was theory. I didn't want to be indoctrinated with a bunch of ideas that no one knows are true or not. They are good theories and will work for now but the ideas of men are always changing and I am looking for more concrete answers but we just haven't found them yet, so the good theories will have to do.

In the past few years I have met many smart people with multiple degrees in "the sciences" some have been just smart and some have been wise. I realize that the existence of God can't really be proven either just like what happens in the inner core of a supernova. I am just proposing that just because Tom Cruise has an idea of how life is doesn't mean we should follow him like sheep. There are plenty of ideas out there on the way things are. The world has thousands and thousands of religions with different sects and their breaks offs. There are so many different ideas on where we can from and what we are doing here.



For me, the more I learn about "the sciences" the more I believe in God. As I learn about rock formations, functions of the body, or the universe the more I believe this statement by Thomas S. Monson, "If there is a design in this world in which we live, there must be a Designer".

When I was a kid I remember asking myself "Do I believe in God?" It seemed that as I heard about others speak of Him I realized I had no idea what I actually believed. I had an epiphany one day when I picked up a flower and took it apart. This may seem simple minded to many of you, but for me this was all it took to convince me that there was a designer of this world. I encourage everyone to try this. Take apart a flower pedal by pedal. As I did this the question I asked myself earlier was answered by a whispering feeling that God is real.  Now later in life having my daughter born, hearing and watching a little heart beat on the ultra-sound, I feel certain feelings whisper to me that a Father in Heaven is there.

Just how there is no "proof" for the existence of "dark energy", there is no "proof" that there is a God but there can be individual conviction and knowledge given that they have a Heavenly Father that loves and cares for them who pours blessings from heaven onto heads of the righteous as they obey higher laws not of this world. It all starts with faith.

Faith is a tricky thing however because it has to be based on principles of truth. Some lose this faith in God because of pride, politics, and finite learning. For me I know that there is a God and that he loves me. He created me and is encouraging me to follow paths that will lead to my happiness. I pray to him. That might sound weird to some, that I would kneel down and talk to a being that is far away in hopes to petition him for some extra help beyond my own abilities. For me however it is just like going over to my parent's house and having a conversation with my Dad in the garage.

I love God and know that he loves me. That knowledge leads to me to believe that he loves everyone because I really am no one special. I haven't graduated with a higher learning degree in anything, I haven't cured cancer, won an Emmy award or any award for that matter my entire life. I am a child of God and it turns out that is all I need to be. He is there even if we decide He is not. Sounds to me like ol' Maverick is a good actor but we should find a better shepherd.

- Joe Macedone

1 comment:

  1. Joe, I really liked this. Thanks for sharing. It's true that we can't prove the existence of God. Each person has to develop that knowledge for themselves. I know that I have had very real communication from divinity. But there is no way I can truly communicate that to another person unless they experience it for themselves.

    ReplyDelete