Thursday, May 5, 2011

Black Market Integrity

 

I have been selling cars for over 6 years now. That doesn't make me an expert really at anything besides
 sitting in the back seat of a car with my seat belt on. I have found that the stigma of a used car salesman is mostly false but there are exceptions to every rule. I have met many great people in the business that try to work hard and provide for their families, I have also met people that don't necessarily have the best intentions for others and only serve themselves. I find it interesting to talk to these people and hear their justifications like "if I don't take advantage of this person the guy down the street will...only worse. I am actually helping them." Although I agree partly with that statement - justification for taking more than what is deserved, blatantly lying, and back stabbing will never be tolerated in my book. "I might as well break into my neighbors house and take anything of value or someone else might" doesn't sit right with me.
I first got into the car business about 2 weeks returning from volunteering as a missionary for my church. I wanted the job because I learned to love meeting and helping people from all walks of life. I was hired on to a dealership that I worked at before my missionary service. I have always loved cars and wanted to help people so it was a perfect fit. This may surprise you but the average commission for helping someone get a new car is about $100.00! A lot of people find that surprising because they are buying a $40,000 SUV but you are only getting paid a hundred bucks? What they don't understand is that you get paid a percentage of the profit on a deal and not the dollar amount sold. If that was the case I would have bought a much bigger house...

My father owns a metal refinishing business in California and I always loved the way he ran his business. he go to know the people enough that there was mutual trust and then he would do the work for them and they would pay them. There was very little paperwork. I understand that with buying a car there are contracts and legalities that need to be taken care of but back in the day a handshake was a contract. What happen to people's integrity? Some people in the car business working at any level will do things for personal gain but in the mean time compromise their personal integrity. Why do they sell their reputation for a measly $100 you may ask? I have no idea...I have made many mistakes and misunderstood a lot of situations but I can't think of a time where I maliciously took advantage of someone for a number on the sales board. So they next time you are put in a situation where you can take advantage of someone think to yourself...what is my integrity worth. What is your integrity worth? Be careful out there weasels at large!

- Joe Macedone

No comments:

Post a Comment