Sunday, May 29, 2011

Facets of Faith: "Healthy" And "Natural" Are Dangerous Words

 



It seems there is a huge craze for healthy and natural foods these days. Everywhere you look there are Organic food labels popping up claiming to be...
more healthy than our hormone/chemical/preservative/MSG/corn syrup/sugar/sodium laced diets...whew!!!

Although I agree that chicken fed from corn instead of the OOZE from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would be and taste better, some of the stuff that labels are claiming are a little misleading. I went into Costco the other day, to pick up a few things, and of course just like a 235 lb man would, I stood around the sample tables waiting for my chance at the latest grilled chicken - spinach - garlic raviolis they were offering. One of the stands had a "Health" drink, that I can't remember the name of, claiming to be a super drink. I listened to the guy's pitch on how good it was and how it would help me get rid of toxins in the body.
In Utah we have a higher concentration of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints than any other state. I would also guess that Utah County would have the most LDS people percentage in the state. In ancient times, food preparation wasn't as good as it is today. Even now. if we don't cook things with the proper care we could pick up all kinds of bowel problems and maybe a little E-coli here and there. As written in the Old Testament in and around the book of Leviticus, God gave some laws of health to the Jewish people, through revelation, to protect His people from disease and sickness.

I am aware of how weird this picture is...
I am sure some people wondered what the deal was with cloven hoofed animals, but there probably wasn't bacterial testing of uncooked pork to solidify reasoning in what they were asked to do. So they had to have faith in the commands of God, and trust that the Creator of the Universe knows what He was talking about. Of course today, we have a better understanding of how to prepare foods in order to avoid these problems and so we don't have to stick to kosher foods anymore (although pickles are really good! HAHA).
However, today we still have our share of health risks. Some the same and some different from the ancient world. In 1833, just as in old times, God gave revelation pertaining to a law of health that should be observed in order to avoid disease and sickness (anyone see a pattern here). In this law of health there is written "DO" and some "DO NOT".
The things we are counseled to avoid are, Alcohol, Tobacco, Coffee, Tea, and other harmful substances (like illicit drugs). Tea (Camellia sinensis) in all of it's forms is on this list of things to avoid. Some people say it is the caffeine in Tea that makes it not good for us, other say other things. The REAL reason why Tea is harmful is because the Creator of the Universe says we should avoid it. In 1800's, people had no idea why smoking or chewing tobacco was bad for them, but now we have all kinds of studies telling us why. In 1300 B.C. there was no studies done of why shellfish might be bad for them. It sounds like we have a similar opportunity to exercise our faith, with similar challenges as the people of old.

Going back to Costco and its delicious Thursday afternoon selection of morsels and treats. I picked up a box of the "Health" drink to look at the ingredients and the young guy hosting the stand assured me that there was no caffeine in the drink. I am guessing that he took me for an LDS person and a LDS person who doesn't drink caffeine. Which isn't too crazy because I am both, and it is after all Utah County, Utah. I did notice that the box said in the ingredients- green tea and told him no thanks. He assured me though it was decaffeinated. I am not sure if that is saying the same thing as a Michelob Light or a filtered Marlboro Red?

Either way, when God gives a commandment it is out of Love and care for us. He gives us promised blessings if we comply with His will. With the Lord's Law of Health we are not promised perfect health, but we are promised real temporal and spiritual blessings if we will obey. For me, I would like to obtain as many blessings from Heaven as I can. I have my own weaknesses but I know when we are asked to do something from God we are not left alone without support . "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27).

So because people throw out claimes of health benefits...here is a list I found of the highest foods with anti-oxidant properties! Looks like a list of things we already know we should be eating and drinking instead of Ranch Doritos. So next time something is advertised as natural remember so is ARSENIC and CYANIDE!



18. And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;

19. And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;

20. And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.

21. And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

- Joe Macedone

1 comment:

  1. This was really good Joe, thanks. it went perfectly with our 3rd hour today with our bishopric presenting to adults and YW/YM. It was on spiritual preparedness and we touched on this exactly.
    When we follow God's commandments that have blessings attached to them the Lord is bound by our obedience...."Prove me here with if I do not open the windows of heaven and pour down promised blessings".
    I love the Word of Wisdom, and I have a testimony of paying my tithing. I am gaining a testimony of my Fast Offerings. As a fairly new member I just didn't really catch on to Fast Offerings and didn't know the importance of them until recently- but I do now and am anxious to test the Lord when He has said great blessings are attached to giving a generous Fast Offering.

    The kids and I have decided to make Ether 12:27 our Scripture that we study individually (and then come together at the end of the week to discuss). I can't wait to hear what we all feel about this scripture and where this scripture will take us..what other scriptures we will find that will touch us...
    Thanks so much Joe, Hope the Basement Dries out!!
    Cambria

    ReplyDelete