Sunday, November 27, 2011

Facets of Faith: YOU DID WHAT?!


Some of us have made a few mistakes in our lives that we would like to forget about. Who are we kidding? ALL OF US have made a few mistakes in our lives that we would like to forget. As we travel through the journeys of our lives we take the wrong street for reasons even sometimes...
we ourselves can't explain.


Before we lived on the earth there was a plan created - a blueprint of a kind that was perfect and was put in place by and all-powerful, all-knowing, and loving God. We lived with God before we were born as spirit children. He as our Father in Heaven, (just like our Earthly fathers) taught us everything He could and what we were willing to learn. There came a time when God wanted us to progress further and become more like Him. Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ created our Earth, and now He sends His spirit children down here to get a body and learn on our own what we could not in his presence - how to be obedient on faith.

To help us get back to Him and since the time of Adam and Eve, God has commisioned teachers that help us read the "blueprints" of the plan. These teachers, or prophets, give us directions and instructions of the way back home. Our loving Heavenly Father knew that being way down here with such spiritual nearsightedness that we would inevitably take the wrong road and get into a few accidents. Part of his merciful plan was to provide a way back from this lost state we would for sure get ourselves into.

2000 years ago, God sent His Son Jesus Christ to the earth. His mother was Mary, and being born in a manger, came here for a divine purpose - to help us find our way back and fix the fenders benders we might have had. The Son of God, lived 33 years and was a perfect example of obediance. In a garden of olive trees Christ prayed to the Father for our benefit. Jesus knew his mission and recognized that He was sent to Earth as the Savior to sacrifice and pay the price for all those wrong turns and bumps and bruises we would get and give. This is called the Atonement of Jesus Christ which satisfies the demands of justice for sins. He accomplished what He was sent to do and now we can repent and turn away from our ways that keep us from returing back to our Father.

For this I will be forever grateful to the Savior of Makind. He has given Himself as a sacrifice for my sins and transgressions. I have made many many mistakes in my short 28 years of life. Some of them on purpose and some by accident; some have been great and some have been small - but I know all can and will be forgiven if I have faith and repent. I can become clean before God because of a prayer in a garden of olive trees and a selfless sacrifice made in my behalf. I couldn't do it myself, but God and Christ have provided the way for me. My heart is broken with humilty when I think of the pain Jesus went through because of our disobedience to God's commands but I am also thankful for the blessing a second chance so I can resolve to do better.

However, I haven't always known these things and I used to live a very different life than this one now. I am not proud of that life so I don't share a lot of details about it. Some who have become familiar with me have been, or would be, shocked by some of the things I have done. I wish I could have known what I know now about God's plan back then - but I didn't. When people say they can't picture me the way I was in my past - that is a great compliment. I am happy to be born again and thankful for a second chance and I am thankful to be found from my lost condition.


It is not easy but when looking at others it is important to remember that everyone has made mistakes they are not proud of...INCLUDING OURSELVES. We may look at others and say "I can't believe that you did that!" ,or essentially "YOU DID WHAT?!" I resolve to rememeber that I have not always been part of the "ninety and nine" and probably I am still the one which the Lord is trying to save so I should afford a little of the mercy I have been shown. Altough the current OR past sins of those we care about may dissapoint us and it may be hard to look at that person the same way - keep in mind that God has the same plan for them as he does you. He sent them here to learn and provided a Savior for them just as He has you. The same "door dings" that you have expeirenced in life may not compare to the "rear end collision" they have but regardless both of you are damaged.

As I have mentioned, I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Through him I can repent and become clean from my sins and return to a closeness to God while here on Earth and a return to his presence in the life to come. Emotion is strong when you think of a selfless sacrifice for a selfish creature and I am thankful for a loving, merciful Father in Heaven who has helped me become who I am today. Even though I have a long way to go, I am glad to be a disciple of Him who saved and snatched me from my awful state. If He has done this for me...He has done the same for you. I am no one of importance.

- Joe Macedone

No comments:

Post a Comment